Skip to content

COVID-19 SERVICES UPDATE: Information on Waka Kotahi services and the renewal date for extended WoFs, CoFs and driver licences. Find out more.

SCAM ALERT: Vehicle licence (rego) renewal phishing emails.

Access keys for

  • h Home
  • m Menu
  • 0 Show list of access keys
  • 2 Skip to content
  • 3 Skip to top

If you're applying for a new passenger endorsement, you’ll need to provide official documents from each country you’ve lived in for more than 12 continuous months since the age of 14.

You’ll need to provide:

  • police records of any criminal history or complaints, and

  • traffic records of any infringements or fines, OR

  • confirmation that you have no police or traffic records.

Document requirements

The documents must include your most recent travel. They must be authorised by the relevant authority (embassy, consulate, or other approved government agency) in your country of origin AND in any other country you’ve lived in for more than 12 months at a time. In some countries, you may need to apply to separate agencies for traffic and criminal documents.

The documents should include your full name, date of birth, passport number and/or identity number. If we can’t easily match the details on your foreign documentation to the details on your application, this could lead to delays in the time it takes to process your application.

If the documents aren’t in English, they must be translated into English by an authorised translator.

Getting the documents

Getting these documents is your responsibility, and at your cost. This may affect the time taken for application processing. The Transport Agency has no influence over these factors.

Useful information about common countries and timeframes

How to supply the documents

You can email the documents in PDF format to, mail certified copies to Licensing Assessments, NZ Transport Agency, Private Bag 11777, Palmerston North 4442, or provide certified copies with the form when you make your application at the agent.

Please note: if you send original documents they won’t be returned, unless you provide a self-addressed pre-paid courier bag.

If you’ve already provided documents to Immigration New Zealand, you may be able to supply them again to us. If you don’t have copies of the documents, contact Immigration New Zealand.

Common countries you may need documentation from

Country Contact details Average timeframe

Australian Federal Police(external link) link)

For Traffic Offence History please contact the State Authority

Approximately 20 working days

Royal Canadian Mounted Police link)

Approximately six months

Fiji Police Force link)

Approximately three months

High Commission of India link)

Approximately 20 working days

Consulate General Of Japan link)

Approximately six months

Land Transportation Office link)

Approximately six months

Ministry of Police and Prison

Approximately three months
South Africa

South African Police Service link)

Approximately six months
United Kingdom (including Scotland, Wales, Ireland)

ACRO Criminal Records Office link)

(external link)DVLA (Traffic) link)

Approximately 20 working days
United States of America

FBI link)

For Traffic Offence History please contact the State Authority

Approximately six months

For any other country that isn't listed above please contact the Embassy or Consulate General of the relevant country. See a list of embassies in New Zealand(external link).

For some countries the time frame for obtaining these documents can take up to six months.


Please help us to make our website better by telling us whether you found the information you were looking for