Skip to content

Access keys for

  • h Home
  • m Menu
  • 0 Show list of access keys
  • 2 Skip to content
  • 3 Skip to top

Application for storage provider to cancel registration (MR15A)

Applicant details

This transaction can't be processed unless you provide your NZ Transport Agency storage provider customer number. 

If you don't have a storage provider customer number, please apply for a customer number. You must provide a copy of the letter from the police approving you to be a storage provider. You'll also need your company number (if a limited company) or a letter on letterhead paper explaining the nature of your business (if not a limited company). 

Vehicle details

Impoundment details

Impoundment reason

If the notice indicates the driver is subject to a driver licence stop order (DLSO), please tick the reason for impoundment as DLSO. For example, the police officer has ticked 'Your driver licence was for the time being suspended because you were subject to a driver licence stop order'. For all other reasons, please tick Other

Plates surrendered

How many plates were surrendered?

The vehicle's plates must be surrendered to a Transport Agency plate agent (such as AA, VINZ or VTNZ) for destruction. 

Do you wish to apply for a refund of the unexpired licence fees?

Road user charges

Only complete if the vehicle is subject to road user charges.

A vehicle subject to road user charges (RUC) is any vehicle that's diesel powered, has a manufacturer’s gross vehicle mass (GVM) of more than 3.5 tonnes (3500kg) or is powered by a fuel not taxed at source. Where the manufacturer’s GVM is more than 3.5 tonnes (3500kg) an approved hubodometer must be fitted to a non-lifting axle on the left-hand side of the vehicle. If the vehicle is fitted with a hubodometer, state the end reading shown on the hubodometer. If a hubodometer isn't required, state the end reading shown on the vehicle’s odometer.

We may issue a refund equal to the amount of any unused distance recorded against the hubodometer/odometer. For the refund to be paid, the current distance reading of the hubodometer/odometer must be provided. Any refund is liable for audit and is at the discretion of the Transport Agency. Claims should only be for licences purchased within the last two years.


If the Transport Agency is satisfied that the motor vehicle has been permanently destroyed, then we may refund an amount equal to the unexpired licence fees paid and the reimbursement fee.

The registration plate(s) must be surrendered and a copy of documentation from the police approving the disposal of the vehicle must accompany this form. Any refund is liable for audit and is at the Transport Agency’s discretion.


Your information

The information requested is required to maintain the Motor Vehicle Register and to process your application for a storage provider to cancel registration under sections 98 and 255 of the Land Transport Act 1998 and clause 6 of the Land Transport (Motor Vehicle Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2011. Corresponding information held under the Road User Charges Act 2012 may be amended.

The Transport Agency, in its capacity as the Registrar of Motor Vehicles (and its agents), will hold, store, use and disclose any personal information collected as part of this application in accordance with the Land Transport Act 1998 and the Privacy Act 1993 (Part 11 in particular, which authorises the disclosure of this information in certain circumstances). The Transport Agency (and its agents) may also use this information to communicate with you for the purposes of processing your application, sending you motor vehicle licensing reminders, notifications and information, or obtaining feedback on our services.

To assist in keeping the Electoral Roll up-to-date, the Electoral Enrolment Centre operates an authorised information matching programme with the Transport Agency under s263B of the Electoral Act 1993.

To identify people who have sold more than six motor vehicles in a twelve month period and are not registered as motor vehicle traders, the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment also operates an authorised information matching programme with the Transport Agency under s123 of the Motor Vehicle Sales Act 2003.
You are entitled to access, and request the correction of, any readily retrievable personal information held about you by the Transport Agency. You can do so by writing to us at Private Bag 11777, Palmerston North 4442 or by emailing us at

When a vehicle is destroyed, removed permanently from New Zealand, becomes permanently useless or is written off, the person registered in respect of the vehicle must surrender the registration plates and notify the cancellation immediately by completing and lodging the required form at an authorised agent of the Transport Agency. Any person who supplies false or misleading information on a form commits an offence and is liable to a fine not exceeding $25,000.